53 replies to this topic

#1 Gruffny

Gruffny

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

From what I read, this show is like Fox News Watch?

Anyway, I hope someone here can record Sunday's show, or CNN puts it up online. I'd love to see the interview mentioned below.

CNN/U.S. president Jon Klein will be appearing on his own network's media criticism program, "Reliable Sources" on Sunday. TVNewser has learned Klein is booked to talk with Howard Kurtz about the controversial hiring this week of former New York governor Eliot Spitzer as a co-host for a yet-to-be named political discussion program that will air weeknights at 8pmET on the network.

Let's put the NEWS back into Cable NEWS Network.
less World Sport, more World Report.

#2 berry8330

berry8330

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:27 PM

You can watch it on iTunes. http://itunes.apple.... ... =163366376

#3 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:40 PM

From what I read, this show is like Fox News Watch?

Well, yeah. Excluding LKL, it's probably the longest running show on CNN. In the '90s it aired on CNNI as well.

CNNI's version would be International correspondents, which hasn't been on for a while now.

#4 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:39 AM

As berry8330 posted, you can watch the epsiode on iTunes. In addition to that, here's a transcript of the show from yesterday: http://transcripts.c... ... rs.01.html

#5 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:00 AM

Is Howie becoming a little defensive or sensitive lately? Fun from today's show:

http://www.huffingto... ... 35075.html

#6 AExAVF

AExAVF

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:58 AM

Given that International Correspondents is already deader than disco (e.g. axed), they should bring back Reliable Sources on CNNI. This show airs weekly, and together with SOTU and GPS, not to mention this aired on CNNI before, why not air it again?
"As an anchor Kate Bolduan has no equal; as a correspondent she has no known biases."
- lifted from the words of Victor Caroli as he describes Predaking in the files of Teletraan II.

#7 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:23 AM

Isn't it rather focused on the US Media?

#8 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:00 PM

Isn't it rather focused on the US Media?

Very much so. If Reliable Sources ever went back to CNNI, I don't think it would ever be accepted as it is. They would need to do an international version for it to have any appeal to most of CNNI's viewers.

#9 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

Given that International Correspondents is already deader than disco (e.g. axed), they should bring back Reliable Sources on CNNI. This show airs weekly, and together with SOTU and GPS, not to mention this aired on CNNI before, why not air it again?

Please, no liberal/conservative/trapped-in-between US media crap for us.

#10 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:06 AM

Pretty weak show if it's only going to spend less than 3 minutes on the Octavia story. What happened, Kurtz? CNN management scared you off? I can't imagine he's thinking the story wasn't worthy of at least some panel discussion.

#11 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:04 AM

So with Howard Kurtz leaving, maybe this is a chance to re-energize Sunday mornings? I never really got a chance to watch the show anyway due to my schedule, but from a ratings standpoint, I think Zucker has a chance to do some experimenting with the show's format. From what I've read from various articles on the Internet, there will be a rotating schedule of hosts.

NEW DAY, BLACK FRIDAY 2015

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?
PEREIRA: Guilty as charged!
BERMAN: Their shopping needs, I'm talking about. We'll break it down next.
PEREIRA: (gasps) What is wrong with you?!
BERMAN: I don't know!

#12 CNN_Maryland

CNN_Maryland

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

So with Howard Kurtz leaving, maybe this is a chance to re-energize Sunday mornings? I never really got a chance to watch the show anyway due to my schedule, but from a ratings standpoint, I think Zucker has a chance to do some experimenting with the show's format. From what I've read from various articles on the Internet, there will be a rotating schedule of hosts.

Kurtz is already gone. John Avlon, from The Daily Salon (I think, one of those magazine/website things) hosted on Sunday continually getting cut off with breaking news from San Francisco. Next week, it's TBD who will host. Hopefully someone part of CNN, not a random analyst.

#13 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:06 AM

John Avlon, from The Daily Beast.

I agree AJJ, this is Zucker's shot to liven things up on Sunday. Kurtz was decent in his day be he was on a downward spiral for a while now. He just came across as a lazy opportunist who has been phoning it in. And his drooling over younger women was getting old.

Avlon is a pretty good writer but from what I've seen, his tv presence has always been awkward. If he gets over that, he might be a decent pick.

Edited by modlib, 10 July 2013 - 03:07 AM.

#14 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:26 AM

Awkward as a presenter but lively as a contributor. Unfortunately, I forgot to record Sunday's show but from what I've read online, he interviewed some CNN reporters about some stories they've covered. Isn't that how the old format was?
NEW DAY, BLACK FRIDAY 2015

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?
PEREIRA: Guilty as charged!
BERMAN: Their shopping needs, I'm talking about. We'll break it down next.
PEREIRA: (gasps) What is wrong with you?!
BERMAN: I don't know!

#15 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

Sounds like the old Back/story with Michael Holmes.

#16 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

Backstory focuses more on the logistics, behind the scenes stuff, whereas Reliable Sources is more about fairness, ethics and the business of media. AJE's Listening Post is probably a better show to compare it to

CNNI did have a very good show similar to Reliable Sources once called International Correspondents ... until they axed it

#17 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

Brian Stelter will be guest-hosting Reliable Sources in August:

http://www.washingto..._washingtonpost

That's a great decision. I've never seen him on camera, but I've always liked his writing. I just hope that if they pick him to be the permanent host, I hope he doesn't neuter his analysis the way Kurtz did after all those years.

#18 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

He has a face for radio honestly.

#19 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:02 AM

I watched him a few times when he was a guest on CNBC and heard him on several more occasions on radio and, while I think he's a terrific writer, he never left the impression of an anchorman. Of course, being a guest is not the same as being a host and in the end he could be great. Even though I'm skeptical, I'll certainly give him a chance, cause when it comes to news media, he knows what he's talking about.

#20 jjerome95

jjerome95

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:06 AM

I think this show should turn in on CNN and have an entirely unaffiliated reporter cover CNN, CNNI, and HLN's highs and lows for the week. 

CNN International Current Anchors and Schedule <--Please update as you see fit

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users