198 replies to this topic

#21 madaboutpenny

madaboutpenny

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:56 AM

I believe Wolf Blitzer anchored from Atlanta in the CNN Newsroom's weather center. He sat at the white weather desk while the weather monitors were branded with Situation Room logos. It was the first time I'd seen the weather center repurposed in such a manner. It seem to work fairly well, though I was hoping they would be able to use the CNNI studio.

#22 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:59 AM

I actually didn't like that. If in New York they use a newsroom as a backdrop during non-special events, they might as well have followed suit at CNN Centre.
CNN - The worldwide leader in news
CNN/I - Go beyond borders

#23 goursote

goursote

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:26 AM

Hi folks,

I created this thread because there was a 4th Zain-less day in a row in TSRs 3rd hour in a row.
There was a lot of Zain and her well done report about the Gandhi auction and other international things in th 2nd hour!!! :evil: which is not simulcasted on CNNI :evil: :evil:
Instead Wolf was telling the International audience in the only simulcasted hour where to find a job for example in the agricultural sector in the US.
:evil: :evil: Something probably most of the International audience isnt interested in at all!!! :evil:
Im writing this because I think these are simply the wrong priorities for CNNI viewers and Im sick and tired of it.
It would be so much better to bring Zain Verjee and the International things in the 3rd hour,and the job information in the 2nd hour.
I have created a new thread because I do believe this has nothing to do with Zain and her work(personally I mean) and so doesnt belong in her thread.

#24 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:03 PM

Is the Saturday edition live (excluding the interviews of course)?
CNN - The worldwide leader in news
CNN/I - Go beyond borders

#25 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:20 AM

I haven't paid much attention to it, but I don't think it is.

#26 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

I have to say that I don't like TSR any more. It's so freaking boring. The only topics they are dealing with are economics, financial news, stock markets, fiscal stimuli, bailout plans, Bernard Madoff and the politics surrounding these issues. Ok, one could argue that these are the issues of the moment and that's why CNNUS is reporting them. But if you look online what MSNBC has been debating on its shows this week then you find a full range of political and semi-political subject that would have been way more interesting even for international viewers. I think CNNI should axe TSR and bring World News Europe back. The only reason to simulcast this show is to give international viewers a unique look on what's moving people in the US. As long as the only issue is the US economy this argument for TSR on CNNI is just not valid because CNNI is reporting on the global economic crisis anyway. To be precise: I'm not arguing for more international news on the Situation Room but for a larger variety of US news... Admittedly, I'm exaggerating a little, there have been other reports too, but yesterday I was really annoyed with their emphasis...

#27 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:59 PM

Just imagine three hours straight of that stuff. Every day. (Where's the barfing smiley when you need him?)

#28 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:18 AM

If CNNI simulcasted all three hours I would go nuts... I have to admit that my verdict was a little bit premature. Last night's show wasn't that bad. But I'm still looking forward to the day when daylight savings start in Europe and I can watch Backstory in that timeslot.

#29 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

I must say that I don't mind TSR. Three hours is way too much, let alone one, but I'll watch 20 or 30 minutes of it in the afternoon. It does become boring if I watch more than that. I watch it to get a brief look of national news, but I really don't need more than 20 minutes. I don't know how those of you outside the United States can manage with an hour of that. I suppose CNN simulcasts it because Europe is almost asleep and Asia isn't quite awake yet.

#30 Joshuah

Joshuah

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:00 PM

I agree with a lot of you who are saying they find TSR quite boring.

Watching CNN Domestic most days, I find watching CNN Newsroom much better viewing. I don't like Rick Sanchez that much, but I'd rather watch him than TSR. My problem with TSR is that it seems very formal and precise, all scripted strictly. CNN Newsroom is much more layed back and thats what I prefer from CNN.

I also don't know why everyone goes on about Wolf Blitzer, I don't think hes that good.

For me, CNN seems to go down hill when CNN Newsroom finishes. I don't tend to watch TSR unless theres some big breaking news, Campbell Brown is ok but nothing great, and then Larry King which is always still good. But then AC360 is now just like Campbell Brown with a different host.

#31 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:10 PM

Im sorry, I have to complain about this show again... :evil: 8-)

The only part of TSR that is worth watching is the "The best political team on TV"-segment. The problem is that this part of the show is way to short. Everytime the participants really begin to argue, Wolf is interrupting and bringing the discussion to an end, which is extremely annoying. What's the point of inviting three of your political contributers with different idological positions when you don't give them enough time to wrangle!?

And as a sidenote: Yesterday's biggest story internationally was the revelation by Israeli soldiers that some of their comrades might have committed warcrimes during the war on Gaza. Wasn't this worth mentioning during an American newscast like TSR!? How do you expect the American public to get a full picture of the situation in the Middle East when not even a newschannel is reporting stuff like this?

(And I'm not saying this because I'm in the tank for the Palestinians. Im not. I'm just convinced that this deadlock between the two camps down there shouldn't be forgotten by the media until the next war breaks out. Then it will be too late to explain to the public what's actually going on because people just won't be able to unterstand the whole picture).

#32 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:24 PM

^^^

You brought up a great point, which is the complete void of international news coverage here in the United States. There isn't one international news channel that's available nationwide on any cable or satellite system. You might be lucky enough to live in New York CIty or Washington, where you'll get BBC World, CNNI, AJE, and/or France 24 if you have the right provider, but for the rest of us, we're lucky if we even have one of those. Out of the three news channels that broadcast nationwide (CNN, Fox, MSNBC), only one of those can provide and international perspective, but CNN isn't willing to give it. Only CNN has dozens of bureaux across the world with thousands of journalists. The sad thing is, CNN isn't, and doesn't want to, give Americans this perspective. CNN Domestic has gone to the dogs with national issues, and very few people are able to get CNN International. CNN even declined to add CNNI to Livestation online, again for reasons unseen.

It's a shame that no broadcaster can, or is willing to, give the United States even just twenty four hours of a non-jingoistic perspective. It's a great disservice to the American public and the United States as a country, since we are the ones affecting the lives of others in almost every country on the earth.

#33 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:07 AM

This may be a rather naive question: Can't you just put a satellite dish on your roof, balcony or window ledge and tap the CNNI signal that is sending out to Central America?

I wouldn't want to live without CNNI any more. Since I started to watch on a regualar basis in 2003 my whole understanding for world affairs has increased steadily. The German media does report on global news, which is a good thing, since many people here in Germany don't understand the English language and CNNI is not really an option for many despite the fact that it's available in nearly every household. I still would argue that the "Evening News" in my homecountry is too German focused and sort of belittles international stories but I don't want to complain...

Honestly, I don't understand why cable providers in the US are not willing to put CNNI on. In the end those companies just want to make money. It's sort of irrational from a financial perspective not to make CNNI available when there is an interests in (or rather a market for) global news. Maybe they believe the majority of Americans wouldn't care and CNNI wouldn't be profitable...

#34 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:21 AM

I think I could get it via satellite if I really wanted to, but I hear that they're huge, expensive, and complicated to operate. Fortunately, with the magic of the internet, I'm able to find thousands of streams of international news channels, including AJE, F24, BBC World, CNBC World, and CNNI, so I'm somewhat content. Those Americans who truly want an international perspective can find many online.

I think CNN doesn't want to nationally broadcast CNNI in part because it would mean that they would have to drag it into the ratings rat race. For the first fifteen years or so in CNN's history, CNN only cared about reporting the news and reporting it well. That ended when Rupert Murdoch started Fox News, and the focus became less about news and more about noise. While CNN Domestic began competing with Fox and their new take on political commentary, they left Headline News to report the news in a straight-forward manner regardless of ratings. However, even it acquiesced to this rat race for ratings when CNN put talking airheads on the channel, too.

At least BBC has somewhat acknowledged this void of international news with World News Today and World News America airing daily on BBC America on cable; and PBS, a public over-the-air channel that's seen on almost every TV in the nation, airs select BBC World News bulletins every now and then.

I think the underlying issue is that most Americans don't really want an international perspective. We're told to believe in our jingoistic ideals about the United States being a 'city on a hill before God' and to believe in our country's forceful and meddling foreign policy. And this new era of talking heads on television has only accentuated our country's differences while not accomplishing anything or informing anybody but rather merely serving as a platform for the promotion of the political agendas of a diabolical few.

#35 Joshuah

Joshuah

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:28 PM

AlJazeera English wanted to be put onto American Cable but many turned the channel down, but I heard that a few operators are reconsidering this move. A good thing IMO.

#36 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

@Charles

Well, I can only talk about the satellite TV systems here in Europe: they aren't complicated to operate and definitively not expensive. You only have to invest once, buy a satellite dish and a receiver and that's it. When my landlord dropped out of his contract with the local cabel operator last year, I was actually pleased because this meant, I wouldn't have to pay those overpriced monthly cable fees any more...

But hey! I'm glad that you found live streams for all those channels online! :D Watching on your computer is a great alternative. I'm waiting for the day when all the major TV networks put livestreams in HD on their websites. Sometimes I think that the network executives simply ignore a demand (Another example: The libraries for popular American TV shows are only accessible when you're entering from inside the US, despite the fact, that thousands of people from all around the world would be willing to pay for it... but that's a different issue...).

I think you made a great point when you mentioned the ratings rat race between the news networks in the US. It's probably a major plus for CNNI that it's simply not possible to gauge the number of viewers that each and every show attracts. So it's mostly about the news and informing a global audience and the competition takes place on a journalistic platform. Ratings don't judge which reporter or which show is a success and which is a failure - the journalistic values of the people working at CNNI can be the meassure.

Finally I want to point out that I am interested in US news as well (which is as a matter of fact international news for me ;-) ). I love watching clips on Youtube about heated debates between talking heads of different TV networks, that you alluded to, because it sort of gives me the chance to understand different ideological position that obviously exist in the US. But I see your point: Those opinion shows are far away from being "hardnews", maybe you could call it political entertainment...

#37 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

^^^

There is this app called Livestation (livestation.com) where they have thousands of live TV channels all for free. They have a few dozen or so 'partner channels', which include Al Jazeera (English and Arabic), BBC World, France 24, Euronews, ITN, and a few others. They also have thousands of viewer-submitted streams of other channels that they've found online. Sadly, nobody has submitted a compatible CNNI stream, and CNNI declined Livestation's invitation to be a partner channel.

#38 Nelly

Nelly

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

I was a political junkie but I'm just burnt out now. I can't watch more than 10 or 15 mins of The Situation Room anymore. And another fact is that they need to update the scripts from day to day! It's like Wolf is stuck in a groove always saying the same little things.

And please, please, please, try to think of something other than "thanks (pause) very (pause) much" after everything!
"The one function TV news performs very well is that when there is no news we give it to you with the same emphasis as if there were." (David Brinkley)

#39 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:34 PM

I have to say, I'm very impressed with the Situation Room when they cover actual news topics. International coverage of the protests has been excellent so far, including the usage of CNN anchors and reporters located around the world. I saw reports by Ben, Monita, Max, and Christiane in the last hour or so.

One suggestion would be to replace those individual video panels, and introduce a large rear projection video wall. Use American Morning as an inspiration, because there's far more possibilities.

#40 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:43 AM

Yes, SitRoom can be a good program at times. It's no wonder the provisional once a day live report from Reza in Tehran appears on Domestic because Int'l has been blocked in Iran.

I agree that the set could use a facelift, too.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users