198 replies to this topic

#61 Shinta

Shinta

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:37 AM

Friday's Sit Room saw a whip featuring Ben Wedeman, John Vause, Atia Abawi, Morgan Neill and I think 2 other international reporters (I can't remember the names now) but it was so good to see so many international faces within the space of minutes of each other. Shame it can't be like that everyday.

#62 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:40 AM

^^^ Yes, it was so strange to see so many international correspondents in the one hit. We're not used to it.

On the SNL fact check report, I think Spud from ICN says it best:

CNN fact checking SNL is like US National Team Wrestling fact checking the WWE. Why bother?

http://insidecablene... ... ot-101109/

#63 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:50 PM

Do they have to air every speech Obama gives? I know this is more of a gripe about all of Domestic, but SitRoom is guilty of this, too. Domestic is the only channel running his speech in Texas right now. Not even MSNBC is covering it. And it's not like it's a crucial speech of national importance.

#64 AExAVF

AExAVF

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:32 PM

No,no,no no,no!!! :evil: :evil: Please CNNI should never get rid of this show,on the contrary-PLEASE GIVE US THE FULL 3 HOURS

If at all, I would definitely agree on this. I've already gotten used to watching Blitzer and the "Best Political Team on Television" in the morning (the Asia-Pacific HK sched).

If there's a bone I've got to pick against CNNI, it's giving us a fraction of a show that is shown on CNN/US on a full time. Though I don't mind breaking up the three full hours into 1 hour each insofar as CNNI is concerned. And CNNI doesn't even have to broadcast the full 3 hours simultaneous with CNN/US; in fact they can replay the remaining two hours by getting rid of certain blocks of World Report (e.g. 1300-1400 HK time and the really pointless WR/World Sport block of 1800-1900H HK time).

CNN/US can keep the three-hour straight format, and I don't see why CNNI should get only one hour of SitRoom and not broadcast the past two hours.

Why am I saying this? Although I live in the Asia-Pac region, I also would want to know what is going on within the US, but as much as possible, I'd rather NOT get my US news from FOX. I've got FOX on cable TV, by the way. At the same time, while there are segments on CNNI which I really find interesting, there are some programs I really find pointless (e.g. repeats of World Sport, Mainsail), though the Scene by Scene program featuring films of Asia Pacific would get my attention. "The Best of the Situation Room" serves no real purpose other than picking out the best segments of SitRoom. I could go watch the live streaming, but then again sometimes it doesn't work.
"As an anchor Kate Bolduan has no equal; as a correspondent she has no known biases."
- lifted from the words of Victor Caroli as he describes Predaking in the files of Teletraan II.

#65 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:18 AM

^^^

That's a really interesting perspective. I've heard those points before, but nobody has really brought them up on this site. The consensus here seems to be that nobody would miss the program if the simulcast on Int'l were to go away.

I'm an American in the United States who has access to both CNN Domestic and Int'l, and the way I see it, I like SitRoom for the most part as a show that's intended for a US audience. I watch 20 minutes or so of it in the afternoon for a grasp of domestic news. However, when I turn on CNNI, I want an international perspective, not an American one, so I can't say I enjoy seeing the simulcast of SitRoom on Int'l. I also think it's a particularly awful show to wake up to in the morning in Asia, and I'd rather see another hour of international news from the Hong Kong team. I hate waking up in my hotel room in Singapore or Tokyo and seeing that show at six or seven o'clock in the morning. Besides, If you want a US perspective, I think CNN International already has somewhat of a US perspective of the world, much in the same way the BBC has a European slant and Al Jazeera, a third-world one.

I suppose I wouldn't mind so much if they kept the simulcast to an hour if there really are enough people like you who do want a show with "an American perspective on US politics", but I don't think CNN International should ever simulcast all three hours. The show is pretty repetitive enough as it is, and as an American viewer, I can't even watch three hours of it. But again, the consensus amongst most viewers is that the simulcast of SitRoom is unwelcome, and it seems that most people would rather get a show produced by Int'l at that hour.

#66 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:52 PM

If there's a bone I've got to pick against CNNI, it's giving us a fraction of a show that is shown on CNN/US on a full time. Though I don't mind breaking up the three full hours into 1 hour each insofar as CNNI is concerned. And CNNI doesn't even have to broadcast the full 3 hours simultaneous with CNN/US; in fact they can replay the remaining two hours by getting rid of certain blocks of World Report (e.g. 1300-1400 HK time and the really pointless WR/World Sport block of 1800-1900H HK time).

CNN/US can keep the three-hour straight format, and I don't see why CNNI should get only one hour of SitRoom and not broadcast the past two hours.

3 hours?!! Noo. I only liked watching Blitzer's shows (SitRoom, Late Edition) just because of the elections of last year which was very interesting. Now its just plain boring to watch american politics. 1 hour? I say cut it to :30 min just like the do to Amanpour. If the CNNUS execs dont want any intl news, why the heck should intl viewers be forced to watch programs that are of little concern to us. Btw, when the times change an hour from next month, do we get TSR? I vaguely remember last year, TSR's hour was taken by CNNToday HK instead.

#67 AExAVF

AExAVF

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:32 PM

Well, I really wouldn't mind if they cut the SitRoom to 30 mins, as long as I have my fill of US news.

However, while I agree that the execs at CNN U.S. cannot force international viewers to watch something that is of little or no interest to them, in the same way that they don't want any international news on CNN U.S., that fact alone should not deprive some international viewers of the news from within the U.S. that would interest them. In my case, I've got relatives living in the U.S. My interest in what is happening to the U.S. has broadened, but since I've only got CNNI and CNN U.S. is not available to audiences outside North America, I am in fact forced to watch FOX (an as a result, their opinionated programs).

Then again, I also wouldn't mind if the 6 pm simulcast of TSR is removed from CNNI and replaced with a news bulletin from Atlanta, preferably from the CNN Newsroom. To be honest, I could not put up with Blitzer saying "Let's check in with Lou Dobbs..." at the top of the hour and then it would cut to the Atlanta/HK studios. Maybe it's a case of oversight on his part or on the teleprompter, but they seem to forget that the 6 pm SitRoom is also simulcast with CNNI.

In any case, those are just my two cents.
"As an anchor Kate Bolduan has no equal; as a correspondent she has no known biases."
- lifted from the words of Victor Caroli as he describes Predaking in the files of Teletraan II.

#68 ttanilsoo

ttanilsoo

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:04 PM

^^^

That's a really interesting perspective. I've heard those points before, but nobody has really brought them up on this site. The consensus here seems to be that nobody would miss the program if the simulcast on Int'l were to go away.

I would miss TSR on those sleepless nights when I am awake. CNN USA is available... as you would imagine probably only in the States, and as I have got friends living in the States, I have increased interest as to what is happening in that country, and therefore I welcome some connections to CNN U.S to hear what is happening in the States.

#69 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:55 PM

This report ran on CNN International at the start of this year and has been on CNN.com since at least January 2009 - and it just ran on The Situation Room as "Happening Now" and "Developing Story". Absolute joke, no doubt about it.

#70 Nelly

Nelly

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:30 AM

Woah! 11 months late there Wolf! I would not have known this had you not pointed it out, so what chance do the poor saps who watch have of knowing?

I guess they must have been low on their worship-o-meter today and had to find something fast.
"The one function TV news performs very well is that when there is no news we give it to you with the same emphasis as if there were." (David Brinkley)

#71 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:10 AM

This report ran on CNN International at the start of this year and has been on CNN.com since at least January 2009 - and it just ran on The Situation Room as "Happening Now" and "Developing Story". Absolute joke, no doubt about it.

I first saw that on SitRoom, and my brother and I thought it was odd that they only used video of Obama's inauguration and some of his speeches during his campaign. Thanks to your sleuthing, I was able to tell him that it was first filed eleven months ago!

Also today, we seemed to have seen more of Jessica Yellin than usual, who I must admit was getting on my nerves a little bit. Four hours of SitRoom isn't a good idea if they're going to fill it with fluff stories. Hell, I think three hours is too much-- they should but it down to two. But I digress.

Here's a video I got of the 7pm hour. I also included the end of the 6pm hour where Jessica and Wolf discuss the programming changes, and I decided to leave Jeanne Moos' report in since it mentioned the Dobbs shakeup, too.

Does anyone know if SitRoom will be on at 7pm tomorrow, too?

#72 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:29 AM

I'm a bit disappointed with yet another show dedicated to politics. If they were to continue the three hour span of the Situation Room, they should divide it into the following pieces -

The Situation Room - Politics
The Situation Room - Domestic News
The Situation Room - International News

If they cut the show into three distinct pieces, it would really make the program easier to digest. No matter how much I respect Wolf, it's essentially the same show repeated three times.

Good luck to John, but I would have expected a more serious newscast by a traditional news anchor. I associate him with politics, not as a straight news anchor...though he could fit the role perfectly. John Roberts would have been perfect for the job. Perhaps pair him up with Jim Clancy or another anchor from international. God forbid, make it a show with four anchors situated in Europe, Asia, Americas, and the Middle East. You could even call it CNN World News.

Wait...now I'm getting ahead of myself.

#73 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:36 AM

^^^

As I recall, when the show first started, each hour was supposed to be divided into different topics each hour. The three topics were politics, security, and international news. I remember when the show premiered, but I was only a casual CNN viewer at the time, so I can't remember how distinct each hour was. The different topic format was scrapped after about a year or so when they split the show in two.

They still try to make each hour a little different. The 4pm hour usually has an economic focus as the markets have just closed then, and the 6pm hour usually has a panel discussion, but otherwise, it's all more of the same each hour, and it's just too much. I can never watch more than an hour of it, let alone three. They could cut it back to two hours and give the 4pm hour to Newsroom and it would be fine.

I agree with the consensus on here that John King's show sounds like it will be SitRoom Lite. The premise of the two shows sounds the same: cover only US politics with the belief that giant video walls somehow can improve your reportage. :roll: At least it's an improvement over Dobbs...I guess.

#74 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:19 AM

This guy wasn't happy with Sit Room's coverage of the Knox verdict. Lengthy, but interesting read.

#75 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:33 PM

Yesterday, at 5:30 EST, they ran the full opening sequence instead of that short one they always use. It was shocking to see an actual opening sequence on Domestic.

Also, I noticed they renamed the headlines segment from "Incoming" to "Top Stories", which is the same name Newsroom uses.

#76 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:43 AM

Sit Room came from the NY newsroom where many live crosses take place.
The NY set wasn't available?

#77 jjlucash

jjlucash

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:02 AM

Sit Room came from the NY newsroom where many live crosses take place.
The NY set wasn't available?

Amanpour was cleaning up, most likely. I believe she tapes in tandem with CNN NewsRoom w/ Rick Sanchez, which is directly before The Situation Room.

#78 AExAVF

AExAVF

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:12 PM

Starting next year SitRoom will be reduced to two hours, starting at 0500 pm ET. The previous hour will be made part of Rick Sanchez's new program next year, from 0300 pm to 0500 pm ET.

Sources: (Blitzer's tweet); (Sanchez's update).

#79 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:52 PM

3 hours was too much, it's better this way.

So will Wolf be back on Sundays when King gets his weekday show? Sounds even more certain now.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#80 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:37 PM

While I'm campaigned in the past to reduce SitRoom to two hours, I'm not sure if giving Rick another hour is an improvement.

I guess this means the end of CNN Tonight for now?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users