198 replies to this topic

#81 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:04 PM

Good move that the show will only be 2 hours. Hopefully it will give the show a sharper focus and things won't seem as padded out as it does at times. I hope this gives the show a new boost of energy. I actually miss the Situation Room as it was when it first started. I think more actual news reporting, and less emphasis on political debate (unless it's newsworthy) is what is needed. CNN has the resources to go live anywhere. Let's see more of that, and less of trying to match Fox News or even MSNBC with all the political news.

#82 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:09 PM

A very interesting read about the supposed Blitzer vs. Sanchez rift inside CNN. The entire DC bureau is apparently upset at Klein and Walton's decision to cut back SitRoom by an hour in favor of Rick's List.

When CNN Worldwide president Jim Walton made his annual appearance before Washington bureau staffers this month, he got an earful over the network’s decision to shave an hour off “The Situation Room” with Wolf Blitzer in favor of rising star Rick Sanchez and “Rick’s List,” his new two-hour show.

Blitzer has a loyal following in the Washington bureau, which according to one CNN staffer “tends to be more traditional in its approach to news.” Sanchez, who incorporates Twitter heavily into the show, is viewed by some in Washington as merging entertainment more with the news content than is customary at the network, and at one point Howie Lutt, senior director for “The Situation Room,” stood up and asked the roughly 200 staffers assembled in the bureau to raise their hands if they respect him or Blitzer as a journalist, according to network sources.

http://insidecablene... ... s-sanchez/

#83 jjlucash

jjlucash

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:49 AM

A very interesting read about the supposed Blitzer vs. Sanchez rift inside CNN. The entire DC bureau is apparently upset at Klein and Walton's decision to cut back SitRoom by an hour in favor of Rick's List.

When CNN Worldwide president Jim Walton made his annual appearance before Washington bureau staffers this month, he got an earful over the network’s decision to shave an hour off “The Situation Room” with Wolf Blitzer in favor of rising star Rick Sanchez and “Rick’s List,” his new two-hour show.

Blitzer has a loyal following in the Washington bureau, which according to one CNN staffer “tends to be more traditional in its approach to news.” Sanchez, who incorporates Twitter heavily into the show, is viewed by some in Washington as merging entertainment more with the news content than is customary at the network, and at one point Howie Lutt, senior director for “The Situation Room,” stood up and asked the roughly 200 staffers assembled in the bureau to raise their hands if they respect him or Blitzer as a journalist, according to network sources.

http://insidecablene... ... s-sanchez/

Damn, this sounds feisty! I'm on team Klein on this one, though, and I never thought I would say that.

#84 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:56 AM

Damn, this sounds feisty! I'm on team Klein on this one, though, and I never thought I would say that.

You're one of the few...including those inside CNN.

#85 jjlucash

jjlucash

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:36 PM

You're one of the few...including those inside CNN.

I really, really don't know why I'm surprised that Sanchez is that unpopular inside CNN. Not only that, but the last thing that the network needs is some sort of, say, 'internal revolt' or something of the like.

#86 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:23 PM

I really, really don't know why I'm surprised that Sanchez is that unpopular inside CNN.

Well, now that Dobbs is gone, he is the anchor who dabbles with opinion the most. He doesn't really have any field experience, and his anchoring style comes off as unprofessional. To top it all off, the executives treat him as a king by giving him all the extra attention he gets. That's my opinion of him, at least.

Not only that, but the last thing that the network needs is some sort of, say, 'internal revolt' or something of the like.

The way I see it, that's exactly what they need. CNN has a really great team of journalists (for the most part), but the executives are watering down their product to the point where it's not nearly as good as it should be. Imagine what CNN would be like if they weren't forced to sugarcoat everything for the sake of trying to compete with Fox and MSNBC. Klein, Walton, Maddox-- they all need to go, and if it's an internal revolt that gets them out of there, then so be it.

#87 jjlucash

jjlucash

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:56 AM

I really, really don't know why I'm surprised that Sanchez is that unpopular inside CNN.

Well, now that Dobbs is gone, he is the anchor who dabbles with opinion the most. He doesn't really have any field experience, and his anchoring style comes off as unprofessional. To top it all off, the executives treat him as a king by giving him all the extra attention he gets. That's my opinion of him, at least.

Not only that, but the last thing that the network needs is some sort of, say, 'internal revolt' or something of the like.

The way I see it, that's exactly what they need. CNN has a really great team of journalists (for the most part), but the executives are watering down their product to the point where it's not nearly as good as it should be. Imagine what CNN would be like if they weren't forced to sugarcoat everything for the sake of trying to compete with Fox and MSNBC. Klein, Walton, Maddox-- they all need to go, and if it's an internal revolt that gets them out of there, then so be it.

You know, you make a good point. After all, that's how it works with any company--the workers state their concerns, even to go as far as starting a strike or something, and the company tends to make changes to suit their workers. Now, I'm actually hoping for a 'revolt.'

#88 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:51 PM

CNNI is not showing the SIT ROOM @ the moment. On CNNUS there is a parade in NO. I put CNNI on n the Anderson Cooper special from Haiti is airing. Why not just go to Hong Kong or do 30 min world news for that time when there is an anchor in ATL already. SMH

#89 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:53 PM

Maybe it was a short notice thing, hence no time to prepare an extra bulletin, be it from Atlanta or Hong Kong?

#90 Nelly

Nelly

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:07 AM

There seems to have been an increase in international news making its way onto the Situation Room lately. Yesterday I think I counted 3 or 4 CNN International reporters in that second hour. It's still got a long way to go before I'd start giving TSR full praise, but even global news is making it into the news updates, or "incoming" updates -- whatever they're called.
"The one function TV news performs very well is that when there is no news we give it to you with the same emphasis as if there were." (David Brinkley)

#91 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:56 AM

Has TSR changed its focus a little? I caught parts of it this week and my impression was that they gave more time to international news and US news beyond the "He said, she said"-bickering of the two political parties. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the start of John King's new political program. Maybe they want John to be the main show that deals with politics and TSR have a broader focus…

#92 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:12 AM

I'll be honest in saying I don't watch every day, but yes, I have noticed an increase in international content. It's not perfect, but it's a major improvement to what the Situation Room used to be. It is a good alternative to anything else cable news at that hour, and there are some nice glimpses of "classic" CNN during the Situation Room these days.

#93 AExAVF

AExAVF

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:39 AM

Given that this show is to run for two hours, the addition of international news is to compensate for the gradual phasing out of the political segments to be integrated into John King's new program. So instead of pundits and political contributors speaking and debating with Blitzer just to consume the full hours of TSR, you'll have more news (U.S. and international) which is way better.
"As an anchor Kate Bolduan has no equal; as a correspondent she has no known biases."
- lifted from the words of Victor Caroli as he describes Predaking in the files of Teletraan II.

#94 Nelly

Nelly

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:10 PM

Just out of curiosity, has anyone actually downloaded one of the ringtones from the Sit Room page?

"The one function TV news performs very well is that when there is no news we give it to you with the same emphasis as if there were." (David Brinkley)

#95 jjlucash

jjlucash

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:55 PM

Just out of curiosity, has anyone actually downloaded one of the ringtones from the Sit Room page?

I didn't know CNN had ringtones. I wish NewsRoom had some.

#96 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:00 PM

SitRoom is coming from a bus (branded as CNN Express) in Dallas today.

While it is somewhat cool that they can broadcast from a bus, it doesn't make sense to actually have Wolf in the bus. Why couldn't they have him do the whole show from in the field (like in Dallas' city center or something)? That would have been more interesting than seeing Wolf anchor from a poorly-lit RV bedroom.

#97 jjlucash

jjlucash

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:56 AM

SitRoom is coming from a bus (branded as CNN Express) in Dallas today.

While it is somewhat cool that they can broadcast from a bus, it doesn't make sense to actually have Wolf in the bus. Why couldn't they have him do the whole show from in the field (like in Dallas' city center or something)? That would have been more interesting than seeing Wolf anchor from a poorly-lit RV bedroom.

Are they following a tea party group again??

#98 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:56 AM

No, I think it had to do with Wolf's extended interview with Laura Bush. The "CNN Express" is doing AM on Monday, too. I think they said they would be in New Mexico. I just hope that they get out of the bus at least.

#99 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:29 PM

They now have a new segment called "Around the World". It's like "Top Stories" (formerly called Incoming), but with an international focus. It's still done by Lisa Sylvester.

#100 Gruffny

Gruffny

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:25 PM

I really like the design of the show, especially this bit from Wolf's twitter page (just click twice for the full size)

Let's put the NEWS back into Cable NEWS Network.
less World Sport, more World Report.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users